Clash of the Titan

Before I retired I had an old circular saw fastened to a home made table as a bench saw.

This served me well for years until it burned out, enter the Titan…

This was bought from Screwfix and while not the best, various reviews said it was worth the money.

I found out that out of the box it worked fairly well but some proper setting up was worth while for more serious use.

Things I noticed:

The handle for blade height adjustment was far too small and flimsy.

The height adjustment screws clog up with fine sawdust.

The fence did not stay at 90 degrees.

The slots for a cross cut sled were not fully in line (the table top was pressed and welded steel).

The saw on it’s stand was not rigid enough.

The blade not stay sharp for long. To be fair I was mainly cutting oak and it is only a general purpose one.

The protractor assembly was too slack and not accurate.

 

Modifications:

I made a longer handle in steel for the blade height adjustment. This was Made as long as possible while still being able to fully rotate and is so much easier to turn. I clean the adjustment threads before prolonged use and also use a non- oily silicone based bike chain lubricant.

I made an oak extension for the fence. I also filed and shimmed the fence until it was exactly parallel with the blade. I then scribed reference marks on the table. This made for much more accurate cuts.

I had also noticed that the fence deflected sideways on occasion so I made a sliding clamp to prevent that, as below.

I secured a slotted bracket to the side of the saw and made the adjustable part from two hardwood strips with spacers at the ends. This had a right angled bracket at one end to hold the fence connecting bolt. The bolt was a 60mm x M6 long coach bolt with the head located in a fence groove and nuts to secure it in place. So far this has really helped.

I made a dummy crosscut sled and eventually a proper one (details to follow) and used this to check the high spots on the table grooves. These were filed until the sled moved freely all the way along the grooves. The slides, tabletop and sled were all treated to several coats of wax.

To prevent the table and stand combination moving too much I cut a piece of kitchen worktop to fit in between, this was cutout under the saw to let sawdust drop through and made the whole more stable.

The blunt blade was the cause of the blade raising threads jamming – the bluntlade produces more dust than clippings.

To aid dust extraction I added a cyclone type vacuum onto a platform at the rear and connected it to both suction points. To provide power for both I added a power strip to one side.

The final mod to date was to add two screws on one side to hold the wood pusher.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *