After remodelling the kitchen we needed a new kitchen table and matching benches, so measuring the space available (narrow kitchen) I went om t’internet thingy and gurgled (new word: searching while drinking) “kitchen seating dimensions” to find best seating heights, table heights etc.
My wife wanted the table legs to be flush with the table top, but the two benches had legs under the tops. The table and benches were all to be made of oak.
The construction of these were very similar, each had four 75mm square legs with 70 x 25 connecting rails under the tops. The table had steel leg connecting brackets, as I had a spare set and the benches had wood reinforcing diagonals in the corners.
The table top was a spare piece of solid wood 40mm thick worktop left over from the kitchen remodel. The bench tops were some 18mm thick oak that I already had.
The benches were dimensioned so that they would fit completely under the table when not in use.
The table top was cut to size and the corners marked and cutout to suit the legs. The legs were cut to size and then all these were initially sanded.
The next step was to set the top upside down on a level, flat bench and pack it up by 2mm, this was to let the legs protrude that amount and allow them to be finish sanded later. The outsides of the legs were flush with the tabletop.
The legs were glued in place, squared up and braced while the glue set.
I cut the connecting rails to size, drilled and counterbored them and then gave them an initial sanding before screwing them to the table. I marked out the positions for the steel corner brackets and cut the required slots for the bracket ends.
The rails were finally glued and screwed into position and the brackets installed and screwed securely.
After letting the glue set I cleaned up the rail areas and finish sanded them. I then drilled and counterbored holes in the legs and into the rails. I used long screws to secure the legs to the rails then inserted wood plugs. These were left to dry, cleaned up and finish sanded.
With the table upright on a firm level surface I sanded the tops of the legs until they were flush with the top. I finish sanded the whole top and applied coats of oil followed eventually by coats of wax.
The bench construction was similar to the table, except that the legs were underneath the top, the legs had 45 degree wooden corner braces screwed to the legs and top and the tops were bigger than the bench by 20mm all round.
The legs were secured by counterbored screws as, the table but I also drilled and counterbored through the top and into each leg.