A quick pair of lamps

I found myself sorting some oak bits the other day and thought some of them were too good to just throw away so decided to make a pair of table lamps.

After considering a few different configurations my other half said ” just pile them up and see what they look like”. This looked interesting but I felt that they looked too square and regular, so I decided to round off the edges and corners. This looked much better immediately, so I duly sanded the lot of them.

I found some flat bases to mount them on and rounded these as well.

When all the sanding was finished I glued them to the bases in a random configuration but also to make a handed pair of lamps.

When the glue was set, I marked the top blocks for brass bulb holders and drilled a 10mm hole right through the blocks and bases.

Grooves were cut in the bases to accommodate the wires then the blocks were finish sanded, stained and polished.

After everything was dry I screwed the lampholders to the top blocks and threaded the wires from the underside and secured them to the lampholders.

The wires were fastened into the base grooves, the shades and bulbs fitted and then checked electrically.

For the wires I used two existing wires with built in switches and plugs.

NOT good news:

One of the brass lampshade rings on the lampholders has gone missing, I have several plastic fittings spare but surprise! these are slightly bigger than the brass ones and do not go on the brass fittings – the search begins…

House Access Metalwork

The Reason

Some years ago an old friend’s wife had a severe stroke which left her paralysed on one side and confined to a wheelchair.

These friends lived on a sloping road, and to make things worse the house could only be accessed from the road by a set of steps that included a ninety degree turn and then a long (80 feet approximately) slope with steps at intervals, up to the back door of the house. The front door was up another set of steps off the side of the slope. The gardens were either alongside the slope or up yet more steps at the rear of the house. Both of my friends were devoted to the house so staying put was their preferred option.

Requirements

After an initial period of confinement, my friends wife said she would like access to the rear garden if possible, so my friend and I started discussing ways and means of realising this. We discussed several ways of achieving the desired result including ways of accessing the road and gardens.

We even discussed the possibility of a water powered lift as used to negotiate steep cliffs at several seaside locations. I even made a short mock up to prove the method, although sheer logistics prevented this method the cost would not have proved prohibitive.

The Solution

The adopted solution was to make a chequer plate ramp from the back door, around the house side and up onto a patio at the rear. The back door had steps down to an existing path and the slope, but the path round the house was not level, narrow, and steep in places, with a set of steps up to the patio. It was decided to make the ramp from the back door level and to gently slope it up to the steps, with a steeper but quite short ramp up the steps and to even out as much of the slope as possible. A lift up section and short ramp was incorporated next to the back door to allow access down onto the slope to the road. A gate, railings, and short set of steps were incorporated into the ramp at the rear of the house to give access to other parts of the garden. Railings and a gate were added to the long slope parts. Other lift up sections were added near the back door/top of the lng slope area to be used if required. The lift up parts used trailer Antiluce fittings to hold them in the raised positions.

Additions

An electric scissor lift was made and sunk into the ground next to the front door, to allow access to a small patio overlooking the valley.

To complete the access the slope was modified by removing the few in-built steps and a wheelchair lift placed next to the steps onto the road. A gate was made to prevent unauthorised access to the wheelchair lift area.

Incorporated into all this was a winch to prevent the wheelchair from running away down the long slope.

The ramps were steel chequer plates about three feet by three feet, each one had recessed lifting handles and retaining catches. The chequer plates were supported on two inch steel angles and short steel legs as needed.

Finishing

The whole construction took several months to complete, working evenings and weekends and was finished in green paint with non slip plastic “beads” incorporated on all walking surfaces. The gates were finished in nylon reinforced black gate paint.